Annually, the US Olympic & Paralympic Endowment(USOPE) recognizes three individuals or groups that have made extraordinary contributions to the Olympic and Paralympic movements.
2023 George M. Steinbrenner III Award Recipient
2023 William E. Simon
2023 General Douglas MacArthur Award Recipient
Mary Lou Retton
George M. Steinbrenner III Award
William E. Simon Award
General Douglas MacArthur Award
The George M. Steinbrenner III Sport Leadership Award
- Made sustained contributions to sport(s) in the Olympic & Paralympic movements.
- Communication skills and leadership qualities that personify excellence.
- Advanced sport at the national or international level.
- Improved sport through organizational skills or technological endeavors.
- A record of distinguished assistance to sport organizations through committee work or other responsibilities.
Walter L. Bush, Jr.
Thomas W. Weisel
Martha & Bela Karolyi
1998 Olympic Women’s Ice Hockey Team
James T. Morris
1992 Men’s Olympic Basketball Team
Peggy Fleming Jenkins
The William E. Simon Award
- Have advanced the ideals of the Olympic & Paralympic Movements over a sustained period of time through both their actions and deeds.
- Through their daily life have set the example embodied in the Olympic Creed: "The important thing in life is not the triumph, but the fight; the essential thing is not to have won, but to have fought well."
- Are recognized and respected for leaving an enduring legacy to the ideals of Olympism and the Olympic spirit.
Daniel L. Doctoroff
Patrick G. Ryan
Henry A. Kissinger
Edwin C. Moses
1980 Olympic Men’s Ice Hockey Team
Donna de Varona
Mary Lou Retton
General Douglas MacArthur Exemplary Service Award
- Exemplary service has resulted in a positive influence on the US Olympic & Paralympic Committee, Olympians, and Paralympians.
- Prolonged service has contributed to the recognition of the US Olympic & Paralympic Committee, Olympians, and Paralympians.
- Commanding presence and endeavors have advanced the ideals of the Olympic & Paralympic Movements.
- Commitment to relevance is reflected in a legacy of dedication to the service of others.
William E. Simon
John Krimsky, Jr.
William J. Hybl
Dr. Henry Kissinger
Gordon “Gordy” Crawford
Header photo courtesy Lintao Zhang Getty Images.